Oral Hygiene & Periodontal Health
Optimal dental and periodontal health begins with dedicated oral hygiene practices. Properly caring for your teeth and gums is crucial for maintaining the beauty of your smile and preventing harmful oral diseases. The routine six-month recall appointment provided by Gentle Care Dentistry in Las Cruces, New Mexico, is more than just a cleaning and a check-up or dental exam. We aim to provide comprehensive treatment and preventative care using the latest in dental technology to maximize the oral health of all of our patients.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact our office at 575-524-3722 to schedule your consultation today!
More than just a cleaning and a check up.
What Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Health Services Do
At Gentle Care Dentistry, your dentist or dental hygienist will provide comprehensive care and perform various procedures to deliver meticulous and individualized oral care. These routine dental hygiene and periodontal health services can:
- Help patients establish an efficient dental hygiene routine
- Provide preventative care
- Treat periodontal diseases and infections
Comprehensive Preventative Care Services
A preventative care appointment may include any of the following services, depending on the severity of your condition and personal preferences:
- Dental Exam: Your dentist will thoroughly examine your gums and teeth and inspect them for cavities and any signs of periodontal disease.
- Dental Scaling and Polishing: Your dental hygienist will gently remove any calculus, tartar, and plaque. This treatment is designed to treat the early stages of gingivitis and prevent its progression.
- Ultrasonic/Cavitron: This treatment involves the removal of tenacious calculus and tartar using a modern ultrasonic scaler.
- Prophy Jet: Using a state-of-the-art jet air polishing device, this treatment effectively removes stains and polishes the surface of the teeth.
- Gingival Chlorhexidine Irrigation: This treatment provides bactericidal and bacteriostatic gum protection by effectively killing bacteria that has accumulated at the base of the gum pockets and inhibiting future bacterial growth.
- Digital Dental Radiographs: Dental x-rays are obtained using bitewings, periapical, or panoramic dental imaging, which allow your dentist to see beneath the surface of the teeth and gums.
- Intraoral Pictures: An intraoral camera allows your dentist a closer look at your dental concerns by displaying hard-to-reach areas of the mouth on a monitor.
- Oral Cancer Screening: an be completed using ultraviolet light, biopsy, digital imaging, or a combination of these procedures.
- Blood Pressure Screening: Obtaining your blood pressure is necessary for identifying patients with hypertension and determining the most appropriate treatment plans for their condition.
- Oral Hygiene Instructions: Your dentist or dental hygienist can give you a step-by-step demonstration of effective brushing, flossing, and irrigation techniques to use at home.
- Fluoride Varnish Treatment: This treatment provides cavity protection and remineralization to strengthen your teeth. Although fluoride varnish is not a component of routine preventative care appointments, this treatment may be added if needed.
Maintaining Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Health
While regularly visiting your dentist is vital for optimal dental and periodontal health, keeping your teeth and gums healthy at home is just as important. Be sure to thoroughly brush your teeth at least twice a day to eliminate food particles. Flossing or utilizing other supplemental cleaning equipment, such as interproximal brushes and water flossers, can help remove hard-to-reach food and plaque between the teeth. Some patients may also benefit from using prescription-strength toothpaste or seeking dental dietary counseling. During your check-up appointment, your dentist can demonstrate the best at-home oral hygiene practices to maintain optimal dental health.