TMJ / Bruxism Treatment
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects the lower jaw to the temporal bones of the skull. When it does not operate properly, due to stress or bite misalignment, you may experience temporomandibular disorder (TMD) that can cause a range of uncomfortable repercussions. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, is a common symptom of TMD that is characterized by the chronic clenching of the jaw and other detrimental side effects. Depending on the severity of your condition, Gentle Care Dentistry offers several TMJ and bruxism treatment options at our Las Cruces, New Mexico office to alleviate the distress of jaw tension, reduce pain, and improve jaw functionality.
What TMJ and Bruxism Can Cause
Those who endure the effects of TMJ and bruxism can lessen injury and discomfort with proper dental appliances and lifestyle choices. It is recommended to seek professional dental care if you experience any of the following concerns that may stem from TMJ problems or bruxism:
- Sore jaw joints
- Dental damage
- Gum and tooth sensitivity
- Uneven or misaligned bite
TMJ and Bruxism Treatment Options
- Night Guard: Having your teeth fitted for a customized night guard can help train the jaw to be more relaxed, particularly at night when teeth grinding tends to occur.
- Occlusal Adjustment: Bite misalignment can cause a feeling of jaw lopsidedness or soreness. Occlusal adjustment corrects jaw alignment so your teeth meet correctly.
- Diet Choices: Avoiding alcohol and caffeine, which are stimulants that can lead to jaw clenching, can be beneficial for those who suffer from the adverse side effects of TMJ and bruxism.
- Relaxation Techniques: Learning relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing and meditation, through counseling is beneficial for stress management and reducing jaw tension.
Schedule an appointment at Gentle Care Dentistry by calling (575) 524-3722 to discover the most effective treatment options.